Ad imageAd image

SJB convention : Sajith says Govt ignored repeated warnings on US tax

Opposition Leader Sajith Premadasa on Thursday criticized the Sri Lankan government for its response to a 44% retaliatory tariff imposed by the United States on Sri Lankan exports, warning that the measure threatens the country’s apparel industry and overall export sector.

Speaking at the Samagi Jana Balawegaya party convention at Hyde Park in Colombo, Premadasa said the government ignored repeated warnings about the issue and failed to take preventive action. He said the matter was previously raised in Parliament, but government members dismissed it on procedural grounds and turned off microphones.

Premadasa said the tariff places thousands of jobs and the future of nearly 200 garment factories—initiated under the administration of late President Ranasinghe Premadasa—at risk.

He accused the government of misleading the public and failing to provide transparency on its reported diplomatic response.

- Advertisement -
Ad imageAd image

The opposition leader questioned when a promised delegation was sent to the U.S. and who was included in it, calling for immediate disclosure of progress. He urged the government to send a trade representative and an expert team to Washington, D.C., for direct talks with U.S. officials. He said the opposition had suggested such action multiple times but was ignored.

Premadasa said if the government fails to act, the opposition will step in to protect the interests of industrialists and workers. He also criticized the government’s broader handling of foreign relations, alleging an inability to build productive international partnerships.

He accused former President Gotabaya Rajapaksa of bankrupting the country and said the current president, elected in 2024 from the Janatha Vimukthi Peramuna, has “bankrupted politics.” He claimed that broken promises and deception have led to public disillusionment.

Premadasa concluded by condemning the alleged release of over 300 containers without inspection and warned that criminal activity is going unchecked, questioning whether this represents the revival promised to the people. (NewsWire)

The post SJB convention : Sajith says Govt ignored repeated warnings on US tax appeared first on Newswire.

Share This Article
Leave a comment